Tuesday 4 March 2014

FOUNDATION PIECED STARS

Making Progress!!

Thank you to everyone who has viewed my blog so far... 74 hits for my first post, I'm pleased as punch!! I hope you enjoy the next installment - Foundation Pieced Stars, something I love doing, but still manage to sew upside down and back to front!!

I have made 2 blocks so far this week, not bad really that's a block a day although my initial target was 2...dreaming abit there me thinks! One called Kansas and the other Kaleidoscope both from an amazing site called Wombat Quilts that have an abundance of free quilt block patterns. 

I started with my fabric selection for each one and then cut all the pieces I needed, 152 altogether!!! 





Next comes the fun part, putting all the pieces together. The first piece is of course number 1, which needs to be placed right side up. Everything else is then stitched in sequence, 2 then 3 then 4 etc but the trick here is that these are done right sides together, something I still forget to do on occasion resulting in a very good relationship with my unpicker!!






Once all the sections have been stitched - there should be 4 left and 4 right - they should all be trimmed down to have a 1/4 inch seam around them and then stitched together, ultimately resulting in a square. 










There is no "correct" way to do this as far as I am concerned, find a method that suits you and go with it. For example I don't remove the paper from mine until the very end, I keep it on right up until the whole square is done.


If you try out any of these blocks or have any tips and tricks on foundation piecing please feel free to email me, I would love to hear from you and see what you have accomplished, what ever level you feel you are at. 
Happy Quilting
Kerry xx

No comments:

Post a Comment