Tuesday 20 May 2014

A TRIP TO THE BEACH....

Come Together

This months British Queen Bee is the lovely Catrin, you can find out more about her in both English and Welsh on her fabulous crafty blog. Catrin made the following request for her block, 

"I'd love the overall color scheme to be beach related - blues, yellows, and neutrals - think beach in Summer. Happy with prints or solids, and the "white" of the block can be white / off white / pale neutral." she also very kindly produced this diagram for us...so totally stealing this idea when it's my turn!




The first thing I had to do was pick out the fabrics to use, it really quite amazes me how much I actually have in my stash....(don't tell my boyfriend, or my mother they will gang up and say I don't need to buy anymore!) I saw 'beach theme' and thought eeeeek what on earth have I got for that, I am going to have to go out and get something, but when I actually started to pull things I was surprisingly spoilt for choice!




This block is described as one that "marries the familiarity of sewing squares and strips with the new skill of making quilts with triangles", so the first step was to cut out said squares and strips!





And then sew them together...





The fabrics I chose reflected pebbles, sea foam, the sun, waves and wooden benches...well they did to me anyway! I really like the way this has turned out. Again it is not a block I was drawn to initially and not a theme or fabrics I would have naturally picked for myself but with every block I complete for someone else I end up in more of a pickle about what to do when it is my turn!!!




And here is the finished article and whopping 20" square!

Speaking of finished articles, the first bee block I did was for the lovely Katie, you can find that post here and you can see her quilt top placement below




I can not recommend joining a Quilt Bee enough, I really am having the most fabulous time doing this and learning a great deal about fabric, quilting, sewing and myself! I thoroughly recommend the book to!

Happy Quilting
Kerry xx



2 comments:

  1. love your block for Catrin. I've got to start mine. Bought the fabrics ( any excuse) though ready xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very effective! Loving Katie's quilt top, really bright and colourful. X

    ReplyDelete